Sunday, June 20, 2010

NaNoWriMo

I've decided to attempt NaNoWriMo one more time. This time I am going in prepared though. I plan to have my novel outlined, and possibly have my characters developed beforehand. And because it is only June, I have plenty of time to do all of that before the November writing crunch begins.
For those who don't know, NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month. The goal is to write 50,000 words in the month of November. The rules are simple. You can't use anything you have already written in your word count. Your novel must be new, but you can have it outlined in advance if it helps. They say that it doesn't usually help. Most of the time a writer may start with an outline, but the story changes and the characters take over as November goes on and the word count gets higher. I'm OK with that. If my story evolves it was meant to be (and I might be able to use some of the outline in a different story ?). I just want to make it to 50,000 words this time. This year will be the 3rd attempt at NaNoWriMo. November seems to be a very busy month for me.

So now, the characters in my head need to be named and defined, and the point and purpose of the novel has to develop. It isn't enough that I have always wanted to write a book. It has to be more than that. This is all about ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment