Thursday, March 21, 2013

Camp Nano 2013

I participated in Nanowrimo in November 2012 as therapy.  It was greatly helpful to me, but not a creative experience.  I didn't want to write the story and the writing would have shown that (had it ever been read). 

A friend of mine has signed up for Camp Nanowrimo in April.  And I decided to join her.  I find myself excited to write again.  I have absolutely no idea what to write.  Camp starts in 10 days and I have only basic ideas on story line. 

There are two kinds of writers.  A "planner", who has a plot, makes an outline at the least and maybe even has some character development.  Then there is the "panster", who writes by the seat of their pants and sees where the story goes as it's written.

I tend to be a panster.  I get a basic idea of plot and main characters and then fill in the rest while the time and word count tick along.  I don't always finish the story this way.  In fact, looking back, the two years that I did "win" were years that I knew more of the outline and had an ending to shoot for.  So this year I would like to be a planner.  I'd like to have a basic outline before the clock starts ticking.  I had an idea for a story last summer.  I made some notes on it and had a few characters and their flaws figured out.  I'm going to look for those notes and maybe I'll make an outline.  It's a good place to start.  I don't have any other stories burning a hole in my mind at the moment. 

So Camp Nano is the writing challenge I craved when I last blogged.  Not sure I'm brave enough to show off the "creative" writing.  But I'm brave enough to write it again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment