Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What not to do....

I'm not a published author, self published or otherwise.  I do, however, believe that if I were published and had the opportunity to be reviewed by someone who reviews and recommends self published and indie books, I would be able to handle myself better than the author here, whether the review was negative or not.

http://booksandpals.blogspot.com/2011/03/greek-seaman-jacqueline-howett.html

I would have read this book.  The reviewer said it was a good story.  I like a good story.  I can get over bad grammar (because that is often how we speak these days) and sometimes I can get over poor punctuation (though I do tend to be less patient with that).  I can't get over her outburst at receiving a poor review.  Her outburst has cost her more readers than just me. 

I hope she sells some books.  I hope, first, she gets an editor.  Even if it's a friend of hers who is reading and making notes for her.  There is always room for improvement.  Mostly,  I hope she learned a lesson.  And I thank her for the one I have learned.  Take the criticism and use it to be better.  Not everyone will like what I've written.  More people won't than will, I'm willing to bet.  I hope that those people won't be bothered to read it though, or comment on it.  But if they do, I hope I'm good enough to "be a duck" and let it roll off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment