Thursday, October 28, 2010

3 Days

OK.  I won't panic...  Take a deep breath.  Only 3 days left.  I've done some outlining.  I would have liked to have done more, but I'm too lazy...

Now I just have to decide where to start.  Should I start on a scene I have in mind?  Or should I just start from the beginning?  I have several scenes written out already (I'm not using them in my word count).  I have to decide how to tie them into the rest of it as my story has evolved a bit.  Or maybe I should leave them out all together and just rewrite those ideas.  I know those scenes will change a lot in editing later anyway.

No panicking... deep breaths.... only 3 days left....

1 comment:

  1. I am having the same dilema. Where to start? Of course the beginning is probably the logical place but logic is highly over rated. I have several different individual scenes that I know what I want, so do you start at the beginning and work towards each of those scenes in succession or do you write each individual scene and then find the way to bridge them? Now that I've "said it out loud" I don't think it makes sense to write the scenes first and try to bridge them later, here's why. The act of bridging is going to inherrently change certain aspects of the story which in turn will cause certain parts of the scenes to need to be rewritten. Perhaps skipping around a little bit on different chapters may be alright, especially if you get stuck in a place and can't seem to get out of it. For the most part however I think working from beginning to end will be best. Remember you are not trying to deliver a finished product in 30 days, you are trying to put 50k words to paper. I know you can do this!! Don't let the over all scope of the project blind you to the small every day goals. I am excited to get started and scarred to death at the same time. I hate disappointing myself.
    Keep a watchful(but not worryful) eye on the word count and be sure to upload your current word count every day.
    As far as what is already written, know what the word count is and add it to the 50k at the end unless you end up rewriting those scenes entirely then include them.
    I know your story well enough to know that it won't end at 50k words anyway, it is simply a bigger story than that.
    I love watching you "not panic", when was the last time you actually had butterflies? As we get older I think it happens less and less often and thats a shame, and while I may have dreaded them back in the day I actually look forward to them now, they tell me that I can still have brand new feelings about things.
    It's a lot like my ears turning red.

    ReplyDelete