Monday, October 18, 2010

Outlining

I've been stressing about outlining my story for months now.   A lot of that stress is because I have bits of this story already written, but I didn't know where the rest of the story was headed.  I have notes in several note book and printed outline attempts all over the place.  Some at work, some by the computer at home, and some in a note book I have set aside just for my story. 

Yesterday my Nano buddy and I sat down at my kitchen table and we each started outlining our stories.  I needed the company for that.  We didn't talk a lot.  There were long, wonderful, silences.  But there were times when we each used to talk out an idea.  And some of the time it wasn't asking for advice about where the other thought the story line should go.  Some of the time it was just talking a plot point out to the end with someone there to listen to it.   I NEEDED that.  

I still have some nagging questions about motivation (mainly), but I can see the conflict in the story.  My characters evolved a bit yesterday and I see where they should end up.  I wrote down my major story lines that need to be told. 

I hope the Allen had the same success that I did.  I learned a lot about his story and I think maybe he did too.  It may be headed a different direction that he originally anticipated. 

The differences in our writing styles was very apparent yesterday.  One of us had a computer with a detailed out line.  The other (guess who) had a note book covered in sticky notes and arrows. 

I hope we are able to do that once more before November.  I could use another brainstorm I think. 

Thanks Allen!!!

1 comment:

  1. You ARE the BEST!! It's really that simple. Anyway this is what I wrote yesterday after I got home.


    Today I re-began outlining my NaNoWriMo Novel and feel very encouraged. Not only have I managed to give the character and story some sort of purpose but also managed to come up with a possible ending that I am very pleased with.
    I really enjoyed spending time with my friend today, and as we are both participating in NaNo it was fun to to work on each of our respective outlines and be able to bounce ideas off each other as we worked. At first when we decided to meet to do this I thought that it may be far too distracting to actually get anything done. I have a hard enough time trying to finish a thought with out some one chirping about something completely unrelated while Im trying to do it. BUT...that was not how it was AT ALL!! As long as I kept typing the ideas I was having, I found it very easy to brain storm about my story while listening and providing feedback about hers. So in short, I loved doing this!! In addition, I got to bounce a few ideas off her as well and the feedback was very helpful. Even to just have someone tell you that they understand where you are coming from is extremely reassuring. I hope we do this again soon.

    ReplyDelete