Thursday, November 18, 2010

New Words and Old Words.

Each year Websters dictionary adds new words to its files.  (I say "files" because who had a current dictionary in their home these days?  If you want to look up a word where do you go?  Online.  hence - files.)  I don't know if they remove any.  Does the dictionary simply continue to get bigger each year as we make up new words?   

Here is a list of some of the words that were added in 2009.  I didn't find the 2010 list and assume that it hasn't been released yet. 
staycation
carbon footprint
green collar
earmark
waterboarding
cardioprotective
locavore
naproxen
neuroprotective
docusoap
fan fiction
flash mob
reggaeton
sock puppet
vlog
webisode
haram
memory foam
missalette
zip line

I don't think many of those would be hard to add to our Nanovels.  Old words are trickier.

I found a website called Save The Words.  It's a cute site, you should check it out.  http://www.savethewords.org/

So when you're going about your blateration, I would be gnathonized if you used some of these floculations in your Nanovel.   It's a challenge. 
 
Happy writing!
 
PS.  Blogger spell check didn't like many of the news words and none of the old ones...

3 comments:

  1. Alright, how many words did you adopt. And no fair using words that I dont know to make me feel stupid. I have a hard enough time with the words I do know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually just make up my own, Allen. keeps things interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I did that too - until I actually found it in the dictionary one day!!!

    ReplyDelete